Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

HELP WITH ASVAB

XGC Love Steph

Forum Star
Jan 15, 2012
Michigan
i live in Livonia, Michigan and im gonna be taking the ASVAB in a few months. that being said, i took a practice test online and i relized im not good at a lot of it. i got the book that explains things but there is so much in it that i dont know where to start really. i hoping there is some one closer to me that is willing to help me study and prepare to take the ASVAB. if you could help please let me know, i would really apreciate that. leave me a pm on here with some contact info so i can get ahold of you.

thanks so much.

XGC Love Steph

Forum Star
Jan 15, 2012
Michigan
its mostly the math part and the word reasoning. i can do the math with a calculator but i know i cant have a calculator at the official test and the word part is difficult because english is my second language.

XGC 1 Actual

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 11, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Well, first of all taking the asvab is like the sat/act. You can't really jump your score up. However, several common factors play. Time, rest, food, mind set. etc..
Id go to your library and study an ASVAB book. Find an area that you feel you are doing great in, and focus on the other areas.
There are several types of ASVAB tests, I would recommend you taking it at the MEPS center on the computer, and tell your recruiter you want to. Reason? the questions are in order on how well you did on the previous question. IE they get the harder ones out of the way first and give you time to focus on the questions you know well. you don't want to skip questions and turn in unanswered questions. You don't lose points for missing the question.
I would take as much time as you can working the practice tests, it also depends on what type of job you want to do in the Military? You have to take the asvab for entry in the military. You can do bad and still get in, however, your jobs are super limited.
Once you find what you want to do Intel, Computers, Aviation? etc. Then i'd figure out which areas of the Asvab are critical for that MOS. Ie, areas of General Science, Paragraph Comprehension, Word Knowledge, etc.
If you have several months, I think you should take the prep/ practice test several times on your own online. Get use to understanding the questions, how to pace your time for reading and all that.
Finally, when your ready. Make yourself ready. Get rest, eat well, focus, and always remain positive.
Good luck!

XGC 1 Actual

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 11, 2010
Northern Kentucky
If your bad areas are Math and vocab, I would study on those, but remember if you do better in the other 6 areas, you can still get a good AFQT score.
Check this book out aswell:
Master the ASVAB
Scott Ostrow has written many informative books about U.S. Military careers. Master the ASVAB includes four full-length ASVAB practice tests, detailed information about military enlisted careers, military training information, rank charts, and military pay charts. Also included is a computer CD with additional practice tests and a vocabulary builder.

Details:
Author: Scott Ostrow
Paperback: 672 pages
Publisher: ARCO/Peterson's; 3 edition (August 24, 2006)

XGC Soulstealer

Forum Nerd
Jan 4, 2012
Missouri
Another thing to consider on top of what's been posted is. The ASVAB is a placement style test. It shows what jobs you would be best in. If you're not good at doing math in your head then why concentrate on studying in to be better when it would recommend or lead you to a job you may not like or even want. That's what the ASVAB does, tells the military what areas you are good at, jobs you would find interesting and jobs where you would have no problem completing schooling in.

Concentrating on areas where you don't have a natural interest in, could result in a score that leads you away from a job you wanted to do. Like Actual said practice beforehand so you are relaxed and prepared to give the best test score that reflects the person you are.

Once you get the results of your practice test go online and look at job(es) you are interested in to see how your practice score stacks up to the job requirements. Good luck man!

The 1 Mr E

Banned
Mar 29, 2010
California
Any further questions regarding military, you can ask in the military members thread, youd get the same responses (all above answers are good ones). Like stated above, the asvab aint pass or fail, its a job placement test. You cant fail, you just end up infantry (jab at all you infant-try guys)
As far as language, a friend of mine was ESL, lemme just say they WILL teach you in basic, and you WILL learn (if for any reason then its to better understand what the DIs be yelling about any hows, its just how they talk)
When your done with it your going to realize that 90 percent of the pressure you felt, was brought on by you. Its not a college apptitude test, they just wanna find out where your strong points are.
Like guy above said, focus on areas you want to be in, There was no way I wanted to be crypto so i bombed the code part on purpose (uncle sam aint sticking me inna glass jar inna basement) i loved mechanics so i focused more in that area.